Sunday 25 January 2009

Burns Night

Invalided as I am my thoughts still wander to Burns and especially what poem to give my class. I found the whole process a torment when I was young, however, as a recent convert I will share my enthusiasm with Primary 4 in the hope that one or two might find their way to love it in later life. No decision as yet on what to give them, rest assured that it will probably be a J.K. Annand favourite.

Until then this offering from Stuart McLean:
(If you don't know the tune I have the complete boxed set of burns songs just ask)
Bruce, the Best Man’s, Address to the Groom at His Wedding


Scot, wha hae wi' shavin’ bled,
Scot, wham is so easy led,
Welcome to yer wedding bed -
Oh such mysterie!

Now's the day, and now's the hour:
See the front o' battle lour,
See approach yer new bride’s mither -
Chains and slaverie!

Wha could be so bloody brave?
Married till ye meet the grave?
All yer life tae be a slave? -
Too late tae turn, and flee!

By yer wife’s woes and pains,
Ye’ll hae six screamin’, scroungin’ weans,
They’ll ensure yer bank book drains,
And ye shall ne’er be free!

Lay such horrid thoughts aside!
Long enough have ye cried!
Let us stand and toast the bride!
The drinks are all on me!

This of course in no way represents my views or feelings about marriage. My own experience and that of everyone whom I know has been a blissfully happy one. In no way do I recommend that any best man recites this at a wedding, or if he chooses to do so of his own free will and volition, do not blame me!

No comments: